Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Sunday 17 February 2019

Passing of Time.

I had to go up North last weekend. Sadly my Stepfather was very ill and we went up to say our last farewell on the Saturday.

Sadly a few hours after we saw him he passed away. However, as he was 102, not entirely unexpected and he'd had a pretty good innings. We stayed up North for a few days to support my mother.

Whilst up there, the wife wanted to see some more of my old haunts. So on the Monday we went up to the Macclesfield canal at Poynton, where my father kept his Dawncraft cabin cruiser.

Now the last time I was on board that boat was 30 years ago and I know it had gone through a few different owners and most likely wasn't still at Poynton, so the last thing I expected as we had a walk up the towpath was to meet it again.

But meet it I did:


Not bad for a forty year old cruiser (dad had the shell delivered to his back garden for fit-out around 1980), especially as you see so many of the same vintage on scrapheaps. It's nice to see it's still around and being cared for.

I went to see my father later that day for lunch and he was amazed and quite happy to see it still around.

So thankfully a happier ending to a sad weekend.




4 comments:

  1. Must have been a poignant moment seeing 'Sweet Pea' again, would have bought back a few memories - she looks a good study ship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, she was pretty well equipped for her day too. When you think back to the early eighties, she had blown air heating, hot and cold pumped water with a shower, all the carpentry was teak-faced... no expense spared really. Mind you while dad was fitting this boat out, he had a few mates fitting out yachts. They had such a need for parts, they set up a limited company so they could get trade discount!
    Looking at her now, all the kit seems to still be in place. Incredible for 40 years really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see her still looking great!! She was the scruffiest boat in the marina when we bought her but I could tell she had been someone's pride and joy, as you say, the fittings were way above average for the time - we did have the blown air working!! I will try and find some pre-resto pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I have emailed you some pics, please check your spam. T

    ReplyDelete