Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Friday 22 December 2017

Hump Day 2017

Well, it's here again, the day we look forward to longer days and shorter nights.

Look forward to scenes like this:

Sun, cloudless skies and sailing....
Happy Winter Solstice Day to you all in the Northern Hemisphere.

To those of you in the Southern Hemisphere, make the most of the rest of the summer, we're taking it back!

Big plans are afoot for Sprite 2 next year. Everyone has been told I need money for Christmas, even if it's only a fiver. Don't waste money on dodgy smellies, just send me the money.  Sprite is coming out of the water for overhaul next year and I need every penny for Marina fees! If anyone has an idea for saving money on lifting her out and putting her on the hard for a week or two, I'd love to hear it!

As is customary at the beginning of January I'll be wrapping up 2017 with a yearly costing. It will be interesting to see what the costs are for this year. I haven't really done that much work on Sprite 2 this year at all, instead I tried to concentrate on sailing her.

11 comments:

  1. Mark - interesting times... it'll be cheapest in the summer (lots of space as everyone else is on the water)... want me to ask at my club if it's a possibility???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, if you could look into using the club facilities, that would be good. Your club is just down the road from Havant, so it's closer for me than say Southsea marina. But don't you have to be a member? You might convince me it's worth joining the club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark - I think you're right, but I will ask... :o) To me the membership is an absolute bargain purely for the winter storage, cheap mooring, and the lift in/out each year, but if you don't need the winter storage (and the lifts) then it becomes more expensive than what you're paying.. :o) Some other thoughts - have you considered Paynes Boatyard - top of the Prinsted Channel/Thorney Island - cheap option and I know two or three people who have used...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Membership doesn't sound bad when you put it that way... It's just depends on the cost of course. :-) As I invest more in Sprite I think the winter storage will look increasingly attractive. But if you could have a word for me that would be great. You can email me at the address at the top of this page or message me on Facebook if you want to make the conversation easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will do... just to let you know I've just had my membership renewal so I can tell you I pay £430 for the year... that's lift in/out, the mooring, winter storage ashore, and also storage for my tender... not bad for £36 a month... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering I'm paying £132 just for the mooring, that doesn't sound bad at all. It's at least £300 for a marina lift in/out and just a week on the hard so it compares pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try these guys.. http://paynesboatyard.co.uk/home ..top of the Prinstead Channel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have managed to avoid haulout and yard costs for the past several years.
    One of the advantages of a bilge keeler. I often get down to the boat straight from work on a friday get in some sailing and then beach her on a falling tide for some maintenance and a stroll.
    Most tasks are do able without incurring costs but it is far easier as and when you can get full weekends.
    Fair winds for 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brian, in previous years that's just what I've done. But this year I really need to get a lot of things sorted, which means a few days on the shore. That means Sprite will be on the beach unattended for a few days which is way too risky. A boat broke its moorings and went ashore in Portsmouth this week. Within 24 hours it was stripped. So I need something a bit more secure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand.
    It does make things a lot easier if you have a lot to do.
    I hope to get a couple of weeks ashore some time so i can rub down and redo the paintwork properly at some time.
    That is terrible about the boat being stripped. What scumbags there are about!

    ReplyDelete