Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Sunday 18 February 2018

Sunny Saturday



Finally we had some decent weather yesterday. I spent an hour cleaning guano off the boat. The gaps in the cover are too small for seagulls so it looks like Starlings have been roosting under there.

I ran the outboard while I cleaned. The ducks back outboard cover I bought a few years ago has weathered and has holes in. Time for a replacement.

In any case the outboard came home with me for a long-needed service.

I was surprised that despite being on the back of the boat for about 3 years the padlock wasn't seized. So I can definitely recommend the master all stainless padlock I bought way back then. Not cheap, but its kept working despite the hostile environment and didn't need the attention of the angle grinder like the last so-called weatherproof padlock I used.

On my way off the boat I tried to Starling-proof the cockpit. I'll see if it works.

3 comments:

  1. ive just bought a seawych, looking for info on them is how I found your blog, and when I collected all the bits the chap handed me a crabbing reel and said its the most important bit of kit on the boat. apparently, an old fisherman in Falmouth told him this, if when you leave the boat you quickly run the line at about chest height around her it will stop birds landing on the deck. something to do with the height they come in to land.

    I have no idea if it works, ive yet to get my boat in the water, but string is cheap and might be worth a go.

    cheers, gavin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to ask, where are you and your Seawych based? There have been a few on eBay recently.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, but in this case it won't help. The little blighters were getting under the spray dodger and cockpit cover at the stern through the slot for the rudder. After they'd got through there, the trail of guano was all over the cockpit. I've locked the slot at the stern and I'll see if that stops the little blighters.

    ReplyDelete