Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Saturday 3 August 2019

Fusebox Finished.

Finally the fuse box is finished. The battery cut off switch has been fitted to the side of the box and easily identifiable and accessible. Not like the previous switch which was a white household switch with a fuse fitted round the back of the bulkhead.

This one looks the  part:

It makes a nice compact unit now.

The on/off positions are easy to see:


The switch's party trick us it has a third position where the switch knob can be removed. It allows you to isolate the battery and keep it isolated as log as you have the switch knob in your pocket.



I've tried to tidy the negative posts too by having two posts and splitting the negative connections between them. The negative wiring looks a lot less chaotic.


Overall I'm pleased with the result.

Not that expensive either. The box was a tenner on eBay and the switch 14 quid on Amazon. The fuse panel was the original with thicker wire tails soldered to it. The only other cost were the terminal blocks. They were less than a fiver for the pair.
The thick red wire I've had for at least 14 years, from when I did some caravan wiring.

Now I can carry on and finish wiring in the horn that started the whole fuse box saga.... And the LED stern light.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Steve. It's taken a few visits to the boat to sort out, but I'm very happy with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 14 years ago - that must have been the caravan you used when you were contracting at HSBC!

    Enjoying the blog, wonder if I should start my own electric day boat blog....

    ReplyDelete