Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Saturday 24 July 2021

Almost Installed!

 So, I spent another couple of hours today running cables and fitting the rest of the boat electronics.

First in was the chartplotter, then running the multicore cable up to the vhf radio and back down to the GPS repeater.

The GPS repeater was next to be connected up.

Successful connection:


What that single picture doesn't show is the hour or so pulling wires up to the radio hutch, making up multiple power connections, etc. in order to get power to the Chartplotter and the data line back down to the GPS repeater.

The next step was refitting the VHF and connecting the NMEA Data line to the chartplotter. Surprisingly the data showed up on the screen almost immediately. I'm used to a bit of a delay.

Sorry for the blur, the boat was rocking a bit thanks to wake from another boat.


So that now leaves the NMEA data from the AIS/WiFi unit to the Chartplotter to connect up and get working. I know the AIS data is being received, as it's still being displayed on Navionics on my phone. In fact it works so good the proximity warning went off when a boat pulled into the moorings close by. That threw me for a second as I couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from at first. 

Nice to know it works!

So, for now feeding AIS date back to the chartplotter will have to wait: I'm grandkid-sitting tomorrow.

But I'm feeling pretty happy. The chartplotter came home with me as I need to clean it up a bit. 

Hopefully more next week.

 



2 comments:

  1. Yes Steve, it's a dinky little thing. A bit clunky compared to Navionics on a smartphone or tablet, but it generates the NMEA GPS signal for the DSC VHF and the GPS repeater. Hopefully the GPS repeater can replace the through-hull speed sensor and I can reduce the hull hole count. ;-)

    ReplyDelete