Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Monday 24 December 2012

Swotting up on Seagulls

This weekend I've been reading up on-line about seagull engines.

One of my primary concerns is the orange ooze that leaks out of the gearbox. I have a potential fix for that so that's one of the first things on the to-do list. There's a better oil seal for the propshaft that at least keeps the oil from dripping everywhere.

Looking at the engine, so far I need a carb spring, carb choke plate, fuel vent screw, spark plug cap and starter cord.

Most things are cheap to get hold of, but the choke plate seems to not be available in numbers so commands a price: its a whopping £17.50 just on its own. I'm skint and I'm not paying that for a flat bit of metal, so some ingenuity may be required to fashion a plate myself. Maybe an old tin cut up, flattened and cut to shape will produce a thin enough plate of the right shape.

However that'll have to wait until after Christmas and New Year, as the family festivities come before fettling old outboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment