Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Sunday 2 August 2020

Nav Light Fitted

Well, I got on the boat and got the Nav light done. Took two days as I only stayed on board for about an hour each day. I'm still quite washed out from the heart attack.

Yesterday I didn't have enough stainless nuts, so a trip to Marine Superstore at Port Solent got me a few nuts. Thankfully they are open on Sundays early enough I could pick up my bits and get on the boat before high tide.

But here it is in all it's glory:

The white gel coat is spread about a bit as I used it to fill in some spider cracks that were in that area. Looks like the core had blown a bit there. 

I fitted a socket rather than use the original "wire through the deck" approach. If it ever becomes necessary to replace the nav light I can simply wire it to the socket and bolt it to the bracket. It just makes the job simpler and if necessary I can wire the lamp up ate home and take it to the boat to fit it, saving time.

The back of the light is fully sealed and being LED I shouldn't have to worry about it for a few years.

Looking around the boat, the windows are in urgent need of replacement rubbers, so I'm going to have to save up for that. I'll do one window first so I only order a quarter of the rubber I need. I don't actually know what the sizes are and Google unfortunately isn't helpful, 

So I'll order 3 metres of rubber and have a go at one of the windows. If the rubber isn't the right size then I've only ordered one window's worth.

Right now I'm back home, the Mrs is doing tea and I'm recovering. This heat isn't helping!

3 comments:

  1. Light looks impressive and masterfully installed, should last years.
    Sorry to hear about the heart attack. I had one of those in 2013, nearly killed me - but with first a couple of stents and then a quadruple heart bypass 6 months later I have been good to go for 7 years and counting - hope you keep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alden, I had a single stent put in, so hopefully that keeps me going for a while. Hope everything is okay over the other side of the world.

      Delete
  2. Our biggest city Auckland has gone into lock down again with the rest of the country going back to a higher alert status without the lock down (yet) due to a resurgence of Covid19 - it's a tricky and deadly little beast this thing. With our daughter, son in law and two English born grand children living in the UK we take a keen interest with what's going on at your end of the world. It's all a big worry and I don't think the world is going back to any normality until there is a safe vaccine is found.

    ReplyDelete