Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Friday 25 July 2014

Thumbs Up for Toolstation.




Throughout the refurbishment of Sprite II and my dinghy I've needed the odd bit and pieces: small tools, glue, varnish, stainless screws, sandpaper; You know, the usual bits and bobs you acquire when you take on these sort of jobs.

Being the skint sailor I tend to go faint when I look at chandlery prices. DIY stores are a little better but you get the feeling they're charging premium prices rather than giving you the best deal.

A while ago I got to know about Toolstation. I've bought a number of bits from them and tools as well. Luckily, they are across the road from work. Fair enough they don't have specific boaty stuff, but why pay silly prices for stuff if you don't have to?

I buy stainless screws in packs of 100 or 200 and its never cost me more than a tenner. Their dearest 200 pack is less than £11.

They also do a range of Stainless Fixings similarly cheaply.

I bought a litre of yacht varnish for less than a tenner.

They do throwaway packs of brushes that can be reused or they really are cheap enough to throw away.

I've used their epoxy adhesive  for various repairs and it makes a good seal on cracks in the dinghy.

So thanks Toolstation for being so reasonably priced. Expect a rush of sailor types stripping you of your stainless bits soon!

Update: I forgot to mention that if you don't have a store near you, they do free delivery on orders over £10. You can buy a whole load of stainless screws for that!

1 comment:

  1. They also do anitfoul. Cheaper than anywhere else and with free delivery! Whats not to like?

    ReplyDelete