Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Sunday 26 June 2016

Some Work Done at Last

Yet another grey, windy Sunday.... when will we get a decent weather window at the weekend?

Anyway, there was nothing for it and I rowed out into the gale and made a start on the starboard locker top, which had delaminated badly.

Anyway, I cracked on removing the old locker top and the piano hinge. Not hard, the plywood had delaminated so badly it pulled off the hinge.

No photos until I completed the job, so here's the new top in place:


Painted Grey to almost match the hull colour. New stainless hinges from eBay, expensive boaty paint and not very accurately cut angles... :-)

But it works.

I drilled the new screw holes with this:


Remember it? My 12v wired power drill. Works a treat off the boat battery, no recharging needed.

The plywood is so thick that I had to space the hinges off the edge of the cockpit, so they look a bit odd from this angle:


But, two hours after getting on board I had a new spiffy locker top. The port side is not as badly delaminated, but I will get around to changing that too later.

2 comments:

  1. Nice!

    Going to have to do mine again... and after just two years... crap job by yours truly.. I'm not going to bugger about next time - I'm epoxying them before I paint...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine lasted exactly the same amount of time. I used external ply, rather than marine ply. The rudder I made Jim was marine ply and was ubmersed for 2 years and didn't delaminate in that time. So this time I used marine ply on the locker top.

    I was thinking of epoxy and glass sheathing, but I settled for paint to make it match the hull. Decent hinges this time too so should be strong too.

    We'll see how long it lasts.

    ReplyDelete