Making the Most of a Minimal Budget. Contact me at: skintsailor@yahoo.co.uk or on Twitter: @skintsailor

Sunday 11 January 2015

The Costs for 2014

At the start of 2014 I costed up how much my sailing cost through 2013, so it's now time to put together how much 2014 has cost me.

Mooring Fees were £130 for the Year

Insurance was £120

My Solar Panel was £20.

I got the depth sounder, which cost me £30 

Navigation Software was £24

The New turnbuckles for the rigging cost £50 (most of that was one turnbuckle from a chandlers!).

Clam Cleats £33

Fuse holder for rectifier £3

Boom Vang upgrade £8

Winch Repair Kits £45

Fuel £40

Varnish £10

Wood Stain £5

Plywood for locker tops £10

Epoxy Glue £6

Contact Glue £4

12V Cable £15

LED Cabin Lights £20

Stainless bolts & Screws £20

New Shackles £10

Shroud protectors (PVC water pipe) £5

The battery meter was £8

Sundries £20

The total for the year stands at £606

Eek, that's a lot, but then again I didn't sell anything this year to offset the cost of ownership, so it's sort of comparable with last year, although last year I did very little work on Sprite. This year has seen a fair bit of work done and stuff added to her.

Of course there were other indirect costs, such as car petrol to get to the boat, but most times I was already in the area, like nipping to the boat after work to keep the cost down.

But I can quite happily say that's lower than a lot of people's annual mooring fees!

Plus the fact the boat is still worth more than I've spent on it so I should get all my money back should I come to sell it.

Amazingly I'm still using the gas cylinder I bought in 2013 originally for our caravan!


No comments:

Post a Comment